Happy New Year!

January 3, 2010 Well, 2010 has already brought many things down here on the ice. For one, we finally got our paint (roof coating material, not really paint, but... whatever!). So that means that we will be back working on building 155 starting tomorrow. This is good! There is a shortage of beds at the moment at McMurdo and so they have to send some people home early. Getting our paint was one of the factors in our favor to staying on for our whole contract. The welcoming in of 2010 was rather lovely as well down here. On New Year’s Eve I went for a ski on the Castle Rock loop. I am using alpine skis that I rented down here. They are older than I am and were working rather well except for all of the first time tele turns that I was attempting! At the bottom of the massive hill one of the bindings completely fell off, so I had to walk the two miles back to Scott base.

At 11:00 I hiked up Ob Hill with a few friends and we floated into the year of 2010 on top of the hill, looking out over the ice continent. The sun was out and the hill was blocking the wind so it was fine to just hang out and sip fine whiskey and nibble dark chocolate talking and welcoming the New Year in.

We worked on Friday, January 1, but had the 2nd and 3rd off. Having two days off in a row feels like the most amazing gift possible! To make it all the better, Saturday was Ice stock. This is an annual new year's celebration down on the ice. My friend Jade and I painted the Ice stock banner under the stage which was really fun! We had a beautiful day for the event; the sun was shining and no wind. 16 bands played outside and ohhhhh the fun we had... The icers were out in full form, costumed up and frolicking around, dancing and merry making. I never thought in a million years I would be attending a music festival in Antarctica. Who knew? Hush hush now friends... (wink wink!) mural painting! Happy New Year! The Ukeladies Helen the Hooper Jade

1 comment:

Ben said...

That's one New Years you won't forget!